Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Why worry?

I am reading the most wonderful book right now . . . it's called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by Joanna Weaver. I'm using it with a ladies' Bible study that meets in our home on Tuesday nights, and God is using it to speak to me about intimacy with Him.

Last night's chapter was on worry . . . I tend not to worry about things that much (just ask my husband -- I'm more likely to jump into something and figure it out as I go!) Anyway, I wondered what God had for me in this chapter, and of course, He will always speak when we are willing to listen! Here are a couple of quotes from the book that ministered to me:

Why is the Bible so adamant about our avoiding fear and worry? Because God knows worry short-circuits our relationship with him. It fixes our eyes on our situation rather than on our Savior.

We face legitimate concerns every day of our lives. But instead of fretting, instead of worrying, we need to focus on discerning what we can do (with God's help) and what should be left entirely up to God. Even more important, we need to keep our focus on who God is and what God can do. The bills won't pay themselves. But we serve Jehovah Jireh -- the God who provides. . . . There is plenty in this world to be concerned about. But we serve El Shaddai -- an almighty God.

Fretting magnifies the problem, but prayer magnifies God.

And my favorite quote of all was a quote by Corrie ten Boom: "Any concern too small to be turned into a prayer is too small to be made into a burden."

I was reminded in this chapter that the more secure I am in the love of my heavenly Father, the less I will tend to worry or fear the things I face because perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:18). I'm so thankful that God knows my every need and He will meet them all! So why worry?

No comments: