Friday, January 1, 2010

Word for 2010

Happy New Year! I can't believe that it's 2010 already! It seems like only yesterday we were beginning 2000 . . . anyone remember Y2K??? I was a newlywed, celebrating our first New Year's as husband and wife. Ten years and two children later, our lives have definitely changed -- for the better!

Anyway, for the past couple of years, I have chosen a word to focus on throughout the year -- something to give me a direction as I seek to grow in my relationship with the Lord as well as in the relationships I have with other people.

This year, the word that God really impressed on my heart is ADORE. The week before Christmas, Brent preached a message about what it means to adore Christ. As He was preaching, God spoke that He wanted me to focus on adoring Him in the upcoming year. I know that when my focus on the Lord is where it should be, other things in my life will fall into place.

So, what does it mean to ADORE? According to the dictionary, to ADORE is to regard with the utmost esteem, love and respect. It can also mean to worship. One of the things Brent said in his message is that true adoration is a product of the heart; it's not just doing things out of obligation. It's so easy to find myself doing things . . . even good things . . . out of a sense of obligation. Whether it's spending time in the Word, serving at church, even caring for the needs of my family, I want to learn how to do all things flowing out of my adoration of the Lord.

Okay, enough rambling for now . . . but I will be revisiting this word again and again this year. I'm looking forward to all that God will teach me about adoring Him!

No comments: