Sunday, April 13, 2008

What is my "one thing"?

Time for some more reflections on Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. Last Tuesday we read chapter 4, which focused on the "one thing" that God desires from us more than anything else -- ourselves. God created us for intimacy with Him. The problem arises when we fill ourselves so full of other things (even GOOD things) that our intimacy with Him suffers.

I know that I can do this. I can make myself so busy doing that I forget to be the child of God that He created me to be. And, as Joanna Weaver says, "I, too, can get so overwhelmed that my worship becomes work rather than delight, and devotion becomes just another duty." She talks about steps to take when life becomes overwhelming . . . I know that I need to practice these in my life:
  1. Invite Jesus to rule and reign by inviting Him first thing in the morning to take the throne of my life, asking for His wisdom and guidance in setting the course for the day.
  2. Ask God to reveal the next step throughout the day . . . by continual conversation with Him as to what my next assignment is.
  3. Have faith that what needs to get done will get done because I have committed my day to Him and am purposing to obey Him. This also involves trusting that whatever wasn't accomplished was either unnecessary or is being taken care of by God.
  4. Be open to the Spirit's leading . . . be flexible and alert to "divine appointments". Then I can enjoy the freedom of surrendering my agenda and cooperating with His.

When I was in college, I read a book called Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby. The basic premise of the book is to look for what God is doing around you and purpose to join God in His work. These two books have some common themes -- anything I do hand-in-hand with God will bear fruit as I stay connected to Him and in tune with Him.

It's like the messages my husband has preached at church recently . . . when a branch is connected to the vine, fruit happens -- it's a natural, effortless occurence. the branch is just doing what it was created to do. Likewise, when I make intimacy with God my first priority, I will produce the fruit in my life that He created me to produce. And that's what I want to do! I want intimacy with my Creator to be my "one thing" . . . what's your "one thing"?

No comments: